Monday, November 17, 2008

No "Yelling" Over Spilled Milk

I feel so bad for losing my temper with Keanu lately. Let's just face it, pretty much everything that he does that makes me raise my voice to him are things that he doesn't do deliberately. What I mean by that is he truly is a good boy and really doesn't expect to make me upset. He is warm hearted, sweet, happy, smiling and really a people pleaser. But, gosh, sometimes there are just things he does that just makes me "lose it". But, why? I can sit here typing this knowing deep down that he doesn't mean to do things to make me mad. In fact, I think in his cute little head of his he thinks he's helping me.

So, back to the "why?". I know why... it's because I have not learned to just "let things go". Who cares if he spills some milk, right? I mean, those are things that are so minuscule. Yea, sure, sometimes he does things to test me, but what toddler doesn't do that? I just need to calm the heck down and love him for even trying. I should be happy that he wants to try to do all sorts of things himself. It will make him an independent person later in life.

I guess correcting and scolding are two different things. I think I've been scolding him lately and not correcting his actions. Or, is "correcting" even a good term to use too? I believe teaching him is the best. Perhaps I haven't been the best teacher. How will he learn if he does not explore and make mistakes. Although sometimes he does not seem to learn from his mistakes.

My goal is not to scold or yell at him anymore. What's the point? It may just scar him later in life and I don't want that. I am really lucky to have such a good child and I am probably slowly chipping away at his happiness which may warp him as he gets older.

No comments: